The Jobs for Youth Al Teglia Scholarship helps motivated young people make their dreams of higher education a reality.
APPLICATION OPENS IN:
About the Program
The Jobs for Youth Al Teglia Scholarship program provides 20 youth with $1,500 each. Scholars are selected for financial and personal need, and all Scholars demonstrate a clear desire to succeed. The program is open to Jobs for Youth Members age 16-21 who reside in San Mateo County. Applicants must be at least a junior in high school.
The Al Teglia Scholarship program can help you on your journey toward earning an Associate degree, Bachelor’s degree, or vocational training certificate. Our goal is to help you enroll in your next semester of classes and to increase your likelihood of graduating. We believe in you! Apply today and let us be part of your success story.
You qualify for the scholarship if you:
- are a San Mateo County resident
- will be between 16 and 21 years old on May 21, 2020
- are at least a current junior in high school
- have a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA
- have attended a Jobs for Youth workshop and have registered as a Member*
- have never received the scholarship before or have only received the scholarship once
*If you have not yet attended a Jobs for Youth workshop and registered as a Member, email us at email@example.com for upcoming workshop dates.
As a Jobs for Youth Scholar, you will receive $1,500 to use toward your college education or vocational training program. You will also be honored at our annual Scholarship Fundraising Breakfast in May, and you will be featured on our website and in our other communications! Winners will be notified in March and will be able to receive their awards starting in May.
You can apply for and receive the Scholarship twice—so if you are a former Scholar and still meet the requirements, we encourage you to apply again.
If you are selected for a Jobs for Youth Scholarship, you must:
- Attend the Annual Breakfast Fundraiser in May 2021.
- Only use the Scholarship money for ” tuition and fees required for enrollment or attendance at the educational institution, or for fees, books, supplies, and equipment required for courses at the educational institution” as per IRS tax-free scholarship requirements.
- Submit a completed W-9.
- Provide Jobs for Youth with updates on your progress when you receive your scholarship money.
The application consists of the following.
You will need to submit your name, school, and other basic information about yourself as well as:
Additionally, you will need to answer each of the following questions in 150 words or less:
If you have an IEP, you may apply using the standard process (under “How to Apply” above) or you can submit the following via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will need to attach the following files to the email:
- A video no more than 2.5 minutes long total that answers all five of the essay questions:
- Describe why you need financial assistance.
- Describe any hardships you have faced in your educational journey.
- Please share a few of your accomplishments.
- What is your educational/vocational focus? What subjects are you interested in studying and why?
- If you are selected, how do you plan to use the scholarship?
- Your IEP
- Your latest transcript
- Two professional full-color photos of yourself (no selfies, please)
These photos will not be used during the selection process. If you are chosen to receive an award, your photo/s will be used in our announcements and other communications about the scholarship winners.
In the body of the email, please list:
- Your name
- Your address
- Your phone number
- Your birth date
- The name of your school, your current grade level, and your graduation date
- The names and email addresses for your 2 professional references (for example, teachers, counselors, employers, coaches)
If you have any questions or concerns about the above instructions, please email us at email@example.com.
2019 Scholar Spotlight
Watch this video to learn more about the fabulous youth we support. Just think—next year, this could be you!