About the Program
The Jobs for Youth Al Teglia Scholarship program provides 20 youth with $2,000 each. Scholars are selected for financial and personal need, and all Scholars demonstrate a clear desire to succeed. The program is open to Jobs for Youth Members ages 16-21 who reside in San Mateo County. Applicants must be at least a junior in high school and have a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA.
The Al Teglia Scholarship program can help you on your journey toward earning an Associate degree, Bachelor’s degree, vocational training certificate. Our goal is to help you on your higher education journey. We believe in you! Apply today and let us be part of your success story.
Thank you for your interest in the Jobs for Youth Al Teglia Scholarship.
We are thrilled to start accepting applications starting on November 1, 2022. Please read each section carefully and apply no later than January 29, 2023 at 11:59 pm (no extensions and no exceptions).
Have questions? Send us an email at email@example.com.
You qualify for the scholarship if you:
- are a San Mateo County resident
- will be between 16 and 21 years old on May 25, 2023
- are at least a current junior in high school
- have a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA
- have attended a Jobs for Youth workshop and have registered as a Member*
- have never received the JFY Al Teglia Scholarship before.
*If you have not yet attended a Jobs for Youth workshop and registered as a Member, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for upcoming workshop dates.
As a Jobs for Youth Scholar, you will receive $2,000 to use toward your college education or vocational training program. You will also be honored at our annual Scholarship Celebration in May, and you will be featured on our website and in our other communications.
Winners will be notified in March and will be able to receive their awards starting in May.
If you are selected for a Jobs for Youth Scholarship, you must:
- Attend the Annual Scholarship Celebration on May 25, 2023.
- Only use the Scholarship money for “tuition and fees required for enrollment or attendance at the educational institution, or for fees, books, supplies, and equipment required for courses at the educational institution” per IRS tax-free scholarship requirements.
- Submit a completed W-9.
- Provide Jobs for Youth with updates on your progress when you receive your scholarship money.
Apply at https://jfyscholarship.smapply.org/
You will need to submit your name, school, and other basic information about yourself as well as:
- Your contact and education information
- A copy of your latest official or unofficial transcript
- Two high-quality, full-color photos of yourself (no selfies, please)
These photos will not be used during the selection process. If you are chosen to receive an award, your photo/s will be used in our announcements and other communications about the scholarship winners.
- The names and contact information for two professional references (for example, teachers, counselors, employers, coaches) and their recommendation letters.
Additionally, you will need to answer each of the following questions. Please note that a scholarship review panel will be reviewing your responses and we will be maintaining your anonymity. Please do not include your name, gender pronouns, or school name in your responses.
- Describe why you need financial assistance. DO NOT INCLUDE YOUR NAME, GENDER PRONOUNS, OR SCHOOL NAME IN YOUR RESPONSE (150 words or less)
- Describe any hardships you have faced. DO NOT INCLUDE YOUR NAME, GENDER PRONOUNS, OR SCHOOL NAME IN YOUR RESPONSE (150 words or less)
- Please share a few of your accomplishments. DO NOT INCLUDE YOUR NAME, GENDER PRONOUNS, OR SCHOOL NAME IN YOUR RESPONSE (150 words or less)
- When thinking about different career paths, what occupation(s) are you interested in and what educational goals do you have to learn more about your career(s) of interest? DO NOT INCLUDE YOUR NAME, GENDER PRONOUNS, OR SCHOOL NAME IN YOUR RESPONSE (300 words or less)
If you have an IEP, you may apply using the standard process or email email@example.com to learn how to alternatively submit your application.
Ready to apply? Great! Follow all of the steps below:
- Read “How to Apply” above, collect all of the required documentation and prep your responses to the essay questions. We recommend preparing your responses in a Word Document so you can easily track your word count.
- To complete your application submission, you will need to obtain two letters of recommendation. You will be able to request two recommendations and track the status of their submission in the application system. It is important to contact your recommenders in advance to let them know to expect an email from “JFY Scholarship”. Once you complete this task, your recommenders will be notified to complete a letter of recommendation and upload it into your application. The deadline for them to submit their recommendations is 1/29/2023 at 11:59 PM.
- Submit your application at https://jfyscholarship.smapply.org/ by 11:59 pm on January 29, 2023.
Feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
References/ Letter of Recommendation Submission
- You will be receiving a request for a recommendation letter from your student via email. The email will come from “JFY Scholarship” and will give instructions on how to complete your recommendation.
- For the smoothest submission experience, please ensure you have the following ready: information about yourself, information about the applicant, and your recommendation letter (500 words or less).
- Please note that a scholarship review panel will be reviewing your recommendation letter and we will be maintaining the anonymity of you and your student.
- Please do not include any identifying information about you or your student in the recommendation letter (i.e name, gender pronouns, school name, etc.)
- Your recommendation is an essential component of the scholarship application. All submissions must be received by 11:59 PM on January 29, 2023. No late recommendations will be accepted.
Feel free to email email@example.com with any questions.
Watch this video to learn more about the incredible youth we support. Just think—next year, this could be you!