Website County Of San Mateo
Full Job Description
The County of San Mateo is pleased to announce the return of the Supported Training and Employment Program (STEP), a program for current, non-minor dependents or former foster youth who have aged out of foster care or probation, and who are ages 18 – 24. STEP provides paid internships and employment skills training during a one-year employment program designed to introduce youth to the “world of work”.
We offer STEP Intern positions in various Departments and locations throughout the County, such as San Mateo County Libraries, Probation, Human Services Agency, Human Resources, Parks Department, Health System, Information Services and more!
The program focuses on three primary areas:
Job Readiness Skills Training: Training topics include understanding workplace culture, exceeding expectations, goal setting, presentation skills, business communications, and other tips to be successful on the job.
- Employment Coaching and Hands-on Paid Work Experience: You will be paired with a Job Coach to receive one-to-one guidance and support. Coaches help prepare you for your new job duties by modeling and teaching appropriate behaviors and skills. After shadowing your coach, you may take on assignments of your own. These hands-on assignments vary by department and provide you with an overview of the responsibilities of a specific county position.
- Transition Planning: The program offers transition planning services to prepare you for your future goals. This includes access to resources for information on colleges, training programs, and other vocations.
If you are interested and meet the qualifications below, APPLY TODAY!!!
Assistance on completing your application and/or resume is available. For assistance or for more information about the STEP Program contact: Conrad Fernandes, Human Resources Manager by email email@example.com
You may also contact Iris Tan, STEP Coordinator by email, firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested participants must:
- Be available and willing to work 20 to 40 hours per week.
- Be a youth ages 18-24 and be a current, non-minor dependent or former foster youth who aged out of foster care/probation. (Candidates must submit proof of status upon request.)
- Demonstrate sound judgment and good decision-making abilities.
- Possess good communication, relationship, and organizational skills.
- Be willing to submit to a fingerprint clearance.
Please note: This is a specialized recruitment designed for current, non-minor dependents or former foster youth who have aged out of foster care/probation and are between the ages of 18 and 24. To be eligible, applicants must meet the requirements listed above.
Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. Applications received without a completed supplemental questionnaire will be rejected. The examination process may include one or more of the following: application review, application appraisal, interview, and preliminary competitive rating.
Applications for this position are only accepted online. Please click HERE to apply. Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before midnight on the final filing date.
~ TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE ~
Final Filing Date: January 21, 2022
Interview Dates: February 14-18, 2022 (Tentative)
Virtual Intern Orientation: March/April 2022
At the County of San Mateo, we welcome and celebrate the diversity of our employees, and strive to create a workplace where they feel valued every day. County of San Mateo is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.