Website County of San Mateo
The County of San Mateo is pleased to announce the return of the Supported Training and Employment Program (STEP), a program for current/former foster youth ages 18-24. Youth in guardianship who meet the qualifications below are also encouraged to apply. STEP provides paid internships and employment skills training designed to introduce youth to the “world of work”.
We offer STEP Intern positions in various Departments and locations throughout the County, such as, Human Services Agency, Human Resources, Parks Department, Health System, and more!
The program focuses on three primary areas:
- Job Readiness Skills Training: Training topics include understanding workplace culture, exceeding expectations, goal setting, presentation skills, business communications, and other tips to be successful on the job.
- Employment Coaching and Hands-on Paid Work Experience: You will be paired with a Job Coach to receive one-to-one guidance and support. Coaches help prepare you for your new job duties by modeling and teaching appropriate behaviors and skills. After shadowing your coach, you may take on assignments of your own. These hands-on assignments vary by department and provide you with an overview of the responsibilities of a specific county position.
- Transition Planning: The program offers transition planning services to prepare you for your future goals. This includes access to resources for information on colleges, training programs, and other vocations.
NOTE: This is an extra-help position, at-will assignment, paid on an hourly basis. Extra-help positions are short-term employment for up to 1040 hours. Some extra help positions are eligible for benefits under the Affordable Care Act. Extra help employees are not guaranteed permanent status at the end of the assignment.
If you are interested and meet the qualifications below, APPLY TODAY!!!
Application materials will be reviewed as they are received, and well-qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview on a continuous basis.
Assistance on completing your application and/or resume is available. For assistance or for more information about the STEP Program contact: Iris Tan, STEP Coordinator by email, email@example.com
Interested participants must:
- Be available and willing to work 20 to 40 hours per week (1040 hours per year max).
- Be between the ages of 18-24.
- Be a current or former dependent of the court at least one day after your 13th birthday (candidates must submit proof of status upon request).
- Demonstrate sound judgment and good decision-making abilities.
- Possess good communication, relationship, and organizational skills.
- Be willing to submit to a fingerprint clearance.
Please note: This is a specialized recruitment designed for current, non-minor dependents or former foster youth who have aged out of foster care/probation and are between the ages of 18 and 24. To be eligible, applicants must meet the requirements listed above. By submitting an application you are consenting to allow the program to verify your foster youth status with internal/external agencies as needed.
Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. Applications received without a completed supplemental questionnaire will be rejected. The examination process may include one or more of the following: application review, application appraisal, interview, and preliminary competitive rating.
Applications for this position are only accepted online. Please click HERE to apply. Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before midnight on the final filing date.
~ TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE ~
Final Filing Date: Continuous
Interview Dates: TBD
Hybrid/Virtual Intern Orientation: TBD
At the County of San Mateo, we welcome and celebrate the diversity of our employees, and strive to create a workplace where they feel valued every day. County of San Mateo is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org