Website Boys & Girls Clubs of the Peninsula
(This is a non paid internship but will gain new knowledge and great skills in return to take with you in life for your Future careers)
Full Job Description
The Boys & Girls Clubs of the Peninsula (BGCP) is the largest expanded learning time organization in Silicon Valley, serving over 2,500 K-12 students at 13 sites in East Palo Alto, Menlo Park, and Redwood City. In neighborhoods where 1/3 of the youth drop out of high school, BGCP members learn the importance of education and become part of a community of learners, wanting and expecting to succeed in school. In three clubhouses and ten school sites, we implement proven social and academic interventions that most impact a child’s achievement in school and in life.
BGCP is seeking positive and energetic Summer Youth Program Leaders (Elementary School) to provide invaluable in-person instructional, management, and mentorship support for Kindergarten – 5th grade youth. Summer Youth Program Leaders (Elementary School) will work closely with credentialed teachers in the mornings to offer academic support in reading, language development, math and science. In partnership with Galileo Learning in the afternoons, Summer Youth Program Leaders (Elementary School) will lead engaging, fun and hands-on enrichment projects and activities centered around a specific theme. You will have the unique opportunity to build life-changing relationships with program participants, gain valuable professional development and leadership skills, and make a positive impact in the community.
Position: Summer Youth Program Leader (Elementary School)
Location: Redwood City School District program site (Hoover, Taft, and potentially Roosevelt)
Hours: Monday – Friday, 7:30 AM – 4:30 PM
Dates: June 14th – July 16th; mandatory 2-hour orientation Saturday June 11th (10:00 AM or 5:00 PM)
Pay Rate: $18.00 per hour
What will you do?
- Assist the Lead Teacher in facilitating lessons in literacy, math and science to approximately 14-16 students during the morning sessions; work with students 1:1 or in small groups to reinforce material being taught and help answer questions
- Adapt, implement, and lead engaging lessons for afternoon enrichment classes of approximately 14-16 students in art, science/technology and sports/fitness
- Implement classroom management and behavior coaching strategies to maintain a positive learning environment
- Support meal supervision, recess, and other student activities
- Work collaboratively with and delegate work to high school Teen Summer Interns
- Attend mandatory orientation, trainings and team meetings
- Ensure all health and safety protocols are enforced and followed
What will success look like?
- You build positive relationships with students
- You help to keep students engaged and further their learning
- You work collaboratively with staff and contribute to a fun team dynamic
What qualifications will the ideal candidate have?
- MUST provide proof of COVID vaccination by 6/4/2021 (if eligible for medical exemption, please communicate directly with BGCP’s Human Resources team)
- At least 18 years of age
- Maturity and strong communication skills
- Ability to motivate through positive reinforcement
- Flexible in navigating a fast-paced environment
- Preferred prior experience working with K-8 youth
- Spanish fluency is a plus (but not required)
- Negative COVID test result (prior to start)
- LiveScan background check clearance and negative TB Test result (prior to start)
- Mandated Reporter Training certification (prior to start)
- Sexual Harassment Training certification (prior to start)