Website Peninsula Humane Society & SPCA
Full Job Description
Job Title: SeasonalSummer Camp Counselor
FLSA Status: Part-time (20 hrs/week), Non-Exempt, Non-Union
Salary: $20.00 per hour
Who We Are: Peninsula Humane Society & SPCA (PHS/SPCA) is a local, private, non-profit charitable organization dedicated to animal welfare. It is our mission is to build healthy relationships between people and animals. PHS/SPCA is truly an open admission shelter, not only accepting many pet animals who might be refused at other shelters, but also taking care of injured and orphaned native wildlife from San Francisco through San Mateo and the northern half of Santa Clara County. Our work means 6,300 lives saved each year. To learn more about us, visit www.phs-spca.org.
Who are you: You are an enthusiastic, creative, animal advocate who is excited to lead Summer Animal Camps at PHS/SPCA to campers aged 8-13 years old. Your passion for animal welfare will radiate through the preparation and facilitation of engaging and safe activities, presentations and workshops.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Animal Camp activities may be subject to change based on COVID-19 health and safety requirements and guidelines.
· Assist with and lead Animal Camp activities, games, presentations, and workshops.
· Assist with the preparation for Animal Camp including sorting and organizing camp supplies and materials, printing and preparing camp binders, and other tasks as assigned.
· Assist with designing, implementing, and evaluating camp activities.
· Assist with supervising campers and maintaining a safe and healthy camp environment at all times.
· Demonstrate appropriate animal interactions and handling of various animal species. Assist students in touching and holding animals in a safe and secure manner.
· Demonstrate excellent customer service skills when interacting with campers and parents/guardians.
· Always treat animals and people with respect to promote and enhance a humane, compassionate and caring attitude toward animals and others at all times.
· Perform other special projects or duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Abilities and Qualities Required:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and physical activity satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Experience working with children ages 8-13 years old preferred.
· Familiarity of animals and animal welfare issues outside of ownership preferred. Affection for animals, concern for their welfare and willingness to handle and interact with various species of animals required.
· Ability to multitask while maintaining attention to detail. Ability to demonstrate problem solving skills, flexibility, and creativity while supervising and participating in camp programs.
· Personable, approachable and has a positive attitude in the shelter environment and while interacting with campers and parents/guardians.
· Comfort speaking in front of a youth audience and leading lessons about animal-related topics.
· Must be available to work June 6th to August 12th.
· Upon hire, must pass a criminal and reference check.
· Upon hire, must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and be able to present your COVID Vaccination Card.
Experience working with or supervising children preferred. Knowledge of animal care and welfare issues desired.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Certification in Pediatric First Aid & CPR desired.
Excellent Benefits Package Available
- Sick pay
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Retirement plan
Available to all employees with pets:
- Free vaccines, spay/neuter, microchipping, and two pet adoptions
- Discounted euthanasia services/cremation, bloodwork, urinalysis, prescription food, and discounts at our retail stores.
For more information about our available job opportunities and how to apply, please visit our website at www.peninsulahumanesociety.org/careers
The Peninsula Humane Society & SPCA is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. EOE/M/F/D/V/SO
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $20.00 per hour
Work Location: One location