Website Peninsula Humane Society
Full Job Description
Job Title: Pet Food Bank & Sales Associate
Who we are: The Peninsula Humane Society & SPCA is a local, private non-profit organization dedicated to animal welfare and serving the San Mateo County area as an open admission shelter. Our work means more than 5,500 lives saved each year. Our thrift store, Pick of the Litter features various second-hand treasures including vintage clothing, clothing for women, men and children, jewelry, books, art and household items. All proceeds directly benefit the shelter animals at the Peninsula Humane Society & SPCA. To learn more about us, visit www.phs-spca.org.
Who you are: You are a retail, thrift shop and vintage clothing enthusiast. You are passionate about animal welfare and would like to make a difference in the community and the lives of animals and people. You also have strong customer service and attention to detail to assist with a successful monthly operation of our Pet Food Bank.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Welcome new Pet Food Bank members to the food bank by reviewing applications and approving members in the database.
- Send welcome email instructions to new members and respond to questions.
- Maintain food bank database and provide superior customer service to members as needed.
- Compile a monthly inventory of food bank supplies and create orders for supplies needed to fulfill food bank demands.
- Staff monthly Pet Food Bank and work to accommodate members who need to schedule different pick-up times.
- Merchandise and stock pet supply area of the thrift store. Keep track of customer requests.
- Maintain visual displays of merchandise in a neat and organized fashion.
- Process sales utilizing the cash register and credit card processing systems.
- Maintain an accurate and balanced cash drawer at all times and generate daily sales reconciliations.
- Answer telephone in a polite and professional manner.
- Receive donations, sort, and price merchandise in accordance with store guidelines.
- Maintain a presence on the selling floor to discourage theft.
- Assist in mentoring and training volunteers as needed.
- Works professionally with the public, customers, co-workers, and volunteers.
- Acknowledge each customer that comes into the store in a courteous and professional manner and perform all duties in a safe and efficient manner.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related retail experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information to customers, volunteers, and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions and percentages.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of computerized cash management system and ability to learn proper cash management procedures.
- Upon hire, must complete and pass a background check.
- Upon hire, must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and able to show COVID Vaccination Card as proof of vaccination.
Excellent Benefits Package Available
- Medical /Dental /Vision/Life/ Flex Spending
- Sick, Vacation and Holiday pay
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Retirement plan & employer matching
Available to all employees with pets:
- Free vaccines, spay/neuter, microchipping, and two pet adoptions
- Discounted euthanasia services/cremation, bloodwork, urinalysis, prescription food, and discounts at our retail stores.
The Peninsula Humane Society & SPCA is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. EOE/M/F/D/V/SO