Website City of San Mateo
LIFEGUARD AND SWIM INSTRUCTOR
Salary: $16.97 – $17.81 (depending on experience and certifications)
Must be at least 15 years old and have the ability to obtain a work permit, if under the age of 18. Applicants must have completed and passed the Lifeguard Training class that includes CPR, FPR, and AED by June 1, 2022. WSI (water safety instructor) is highly recommended.
Submit an official City of San Mateo application on-line on CalOpps.org.
Submit an official City of San Mateo application to San Mateo Senior Center 2645 Alameda de las Pulgas, San Mateo, CA 94403
All applicants must answer the following Supplemental question: “Did a current City of San Mateo employee refer you to this job?” “If yes, please provide their name.”
This recruitment is open until filled and application materials will be screened on a continuous basis. First review of applications for the 1st round of interviews will be on April 29, 2022.
For additional information: Contact Carolyn Shavel at 650 522-7495 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews will be held May 2-6, 2022
Job Responsibilities will include both Lifeguarding and Swim Instruction.
Lifeguard Job Responsibilities:
- The primary responsibility of a lifeguard is to protect lives by using his or her skills to prevent injury among patrons. This duty does not only include rescuing drowning victims or administering CPR and first aid. Being alert and proactive also helps to prevent dangerous situations from ever occurring in the first place.
- Enforcing the rules fairly and consistently is a close second major duty and could even be a part of patron surveillance. Help the patrons to keep themselves safe by monitoring and putting an end to dangerous behaviors. These can include running on slippery surfaces or roughhousing around the pool area.
- Maintenance and cleaning tasks are also part of the lifeguard duties. These can include monitoring chemical levels in the pool, picking up trash and organizing equipment, or inspecting the facility for unsafe conditions.
Swim Instructor Job Responsibilities:
- The swim instructor is responsible for instructing all swim lesson participants.
- This position is also responsible for the safety of the participant in their own class.
- Work hours as scheduled which includes beginning and ending class on time; remaining after class to answer participant and/or parent questions as needed and clean up supplies.
- Instructs and evaluates students participating in swim lessons.
- Submits completed report cards, skills sheets, and attendance information on time.
Covid-19 Vaccination Requirement:
In order to promote a safe and healthy workplace for employees and members of the public who interact with employees or visit City of San Mateo worksites and facilities, the City requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated prior to their start date as a condition of employment. This vaccination requirement applies to all merits, per diems, retired annuitants, student assistants, interns and re-hires appointed by the City after January 10, 2022. Fully vaccinated means that the person received, at least 14 days prior, either the second dose in a 2-dose Covid-19 vaccine series (e.g. Pfizer or Moderna), or a single-dose Covid-19 vaccine (e.g. Janssen), as defined by the CDC. Candidates requesting a reasonable accommodation request for an exemption from this vaccination requirement based on a medical condition or a sincerely held religious belief must notify email@example.com or (650) 522-7264 and complete the appropriate Accommodation Request form prior to the start date of employment. The City will review exemption requests on a case-by-case basis.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org