Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for undergraduate level students to engage in practical experience to further their educational goals. You will provide technical and/or research support to projects in the areas of Chemical and Isotopic Signatures, Computational Nuclear Physics; Experimental Nuclear, Stockpile and Environmental Radiochemistry; Experimental Nuclear Physics; Forensic Science & Assessments; High Energy Accelerator Physics; Nuclear Security Physics; Nuclear Theory and Modeling; Rare Event Detection; and Safeguards, Non-Proliferation and Response. These positions are in the Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division.
In this role you will
- Students will work with engineers, scientists, and technical staff members to provide technical and/or research support to projects in the areas of computational chemistry and physics, radiochemistry, nuclear and high energy accelerated physics, nuclear theory and modeling, nuclear forensics, or other related fields.
- Under close supervision, participate in research in assigned area.
- Gather and analyze data or information in support of scientific research.
- Present/communicate results to research group.
- Perform technical assignments of a basic degree of complexity.
- Attend relevant seminars.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing an undergraduate degree in physics, material sciences, computer science, or a related field.
- Ability to apply basic engineering or scientific principles to solve technical problems.
- Ability to participate in research and present and communicate concepts and ideas including research project(s), document work and give a technical talk/presentation.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to work in a team environment.
- Experience working with personal computers and familiarity with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Note: This is a Temporary Student Intern appointment. This assignment is for a full-time remote position during the summer academic break (June 7 – August 6, 2021). This program will be entirely virtual. Salaries are based on academic standing and compensation rates established by LLNL’s Human Resources department. Travel costs to and from LLNL are provided. Selected applicants will be required to provide transcripts and 1 letter of recommendation. Refer to the Scholar Program website at https://scholars.llnl.gov/ for additional student employment information.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.