Website City Of South San Francisco
POSITION: Lifeguard (Recreation Leader III)
DEPARTMENT: Parks and Recreation / Recreation Division
SHIFTS AVAILABLE: Shifts vary and are flexible
Hours of operation: Monday-Friday 5:00 am – 9:00 pm
Saturday 6:45 am – 6:30 pm
HOURLY RATE: $18.64 – $22.66 per hour
The City of South San Francisco is a General Law city with a population of 68,000 residents that grows to 110,000 during business hours. South San Francisco is strategically located on the west shore of the San Francisco Bay, in northern San Mateo County, 10 miles south of San Francisco. This City is also located along the Bay Area’s main transportation routes, including 101, 280, Caltrain, BART, San Francisco Bay Ferry, and the San Francisco International Airport.
The City of South San Francisco is a full-service city with 12 City Departments, including Police; Fire; Parks and Recreation; Public Works; Economic and Community Development; City Attorney; Library; Finance; Information Technology; Human Resources; City Clerk; and Office of the City Manager. The City has a Council-City Manager form of government with more than 460 full-time regular employees.
The City of South San Francisco proudly remains The Industrial City, a reflection of its steel mill and ship building past. In recent years, the City has been redefined to reflect the innovative, entrepreneurial and industrious spirit, which has made South San Francisco the Biotech Capital of the World.
South San Francisco’s biotechnology cluster is the largest in the world, with roughly 45,000 life science workers, 200 biotech companies, and over 12 million square feet of office/R&D facilities – with an additional 9 million square feet of new R&D facilities in the development pipeline.
South San Francisco enjoys a high quality of life with an extensive public parks system, active library, and learning programming, and a dynamic, engaged community making South San Francisco a great place to live, learn, work and play.
The Parks and Recreation Department is the third-largest department in the City and is organized by program area, with each program administered by a supervisor, coordinator, or specialist. The Parks and Recreation Department is composed of a Director and 22 full-time management positions. The department is comprised of the Recreation, Community Services, Parks, Facilities, and Common Greens divisions. The Recreation Division consists of seven program areas, including Aquatics, Classes, Cultural Arts, Childcare, Senior Services, Sports, and Rentals.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Typical job duties include (but are not limited to):
- Prevents accidents through enforcement of policies, rules, and ordinances governing the conduct of persons at a swimming pool.
- Keeps a sharp lookout for accidents in the water, swimming pool deck, and throughout the facility.
- Warn patrons against dangerous practices, such as running on the pool deck or diving in shallow water.
- Instructs non-swimmers and weak swimmers to stay out of the deep water.
- Rescues persons in danger of drowning, with the appropriate rescue maneuver.
- Follow prescribed emergency action plan in cases of emergency, administers first aid and/or CPR.
- Always exercises good judgment.
- Shall have the authority to discipline or eject persons who are creating problems.
- Attend staff meetings and training for the purpose of reviewing lifeguard techniques, accident procedures, and other material.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Job Related and Essential Qualifications:
- Skills and techniques needed to act as a lifeguard.
- Use and care of lifesaving equipment used at a public swimming pools.
- Follow written and oral instructions.
- Perform lifeguarding and swimming skills according to American Red Cross standards.
- Demonstrate lifesaving and emergency first aid skills.
- Deal effectively with staff and pool patrons.
- Deal with stressful situations.
- Prior Lifeguard experience is desirable but not required.
- Certified candidates will be subject to a swim and skills test.
Licenses/Certificates: Possession of a current Redcross Lifeguard Training certification within one (1) month of appointment.
Age: Candidates must be at least 15 years of age.
This is an hourly part-time non-benefited position.
RECRUITMENT TYPE: This is a continuous recruitment. If interested, please contact us immediately to schedule an interview, as this recruitment may close at any time.
HOW TO APPLY: Please contact Brian Noce at (650) 875-6959 or Brian.Noce@ssf.net to schedule an interview.