San Mateo County Libraries is seeking applicants for the position of Library Aide. The Library Aide position is a part time, extra-help position. We anticipate filling vacancies at some or all the following locations: the Belmont, Foster City, Millbrae, Portola Valley, San Carlos, and Woodside Libraries, as well as on our Access Services Team at the Libraries Administration building in San Mateo.
Library Aides must be available to work a schedule that typically includes a combination of day, evening, and weekend shifts. The positions are part-time and extra-help and those hired will generally work between 8 and 18 hours per week. We seek individuals who are interested in year-round employment and whose availability would remain the same.
San Mateo County Libraries are an invaluable community resource, an amazing family, a springboard for opportunities, and our staff is what makes the libraries so special. We are champions of learning, sharing, and exploration — of open minds, new ideas, and bright futures. It is our mission and our passion to strengthen our community by creating an inclusive sense of place and an environment for learning. We seek enthusiastic team players, creative risk takers, and flexible individuals who proactively search for new opportunities to make public library services relevant to all members of the community.
We respect, value, and celebrate diversity, and bilingual skills are always desired.
Apply to become a Library Aide with San Mateo County Libraries (SMCL) and join us in igniting growth through transformative experiences!
We seek candidates who are interested in working in the library and maintaining a customer-friendly environment. We are interested in individuals who are comfortable working both independently and with the public. Comfort with technology is desirable. In some community libraries, the ability to speak a second language is preferred. Attention to detail is critical for success in this position. Individuals who are interested in library careers can learn and grow in the Library Aide position.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to:
- Shelve materials, create and fill displays, and maintain a beautiful library.
- Provide friendly, enthusiastic customer service.
- Perform physical tasks such as lifting and moving library materials up to 50 pounds.
- Work independently, follow through on tasks, and be a self-starter.
- Support co-workers in providing excellent customer service, programs, and outreach.
- Grow and develop new skills in your position.
In addition, the ideal candidate will also have:
- A passion for serving the community and working with people.
- Interest or experience working with families and children – in an educational or social services environment.
- Experience working with technology or an interest in working with technology.
- An eye for detail, creativity, and flexibility.
- Bilingual language skills, which are preferred but not required for this position.
NOTE: This is an extra-help, at-will assignment, paid on an hourly basis. Some extra help positions are eligible for benefits under the Affordable Care Act. Extra help employees are not guaranteed permanent status at the end of the assignment.
- Library functions and purposes.
Skill / Ability to:
- Carry out written and oral instructions about library routines; file books and periodicals according to established library systems; and alphabetize, read, and perform simple arithmetic.
This an Open recruitment. Anyone may apply for this extra-help assignment.
Application materials will be reviewed after the final filing date and candidates who seem most qualified for the position based on the information in their application and in their responses to the Supplemental Questions will be contacted by the Libraries for an interview.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the recruitment and selection process. At this time, interviews will be conducted remotely using Zoom or MS Teams.
IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online and must be received by 11:59 PM on the final filing date. If you are currently on the County’s website, you may click the “Apply” button. If you are not on the County’s website, please go to http://jobs.smcgov.org to apply. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Recruitment Time Line
Final Date to Apply: December 21, 2020 at 11:59 p.m.
Application Screening: December 22, 2020
Interviews: Beginning January 6, 2020
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.