Website New Leaf Community Markets
Who is New Leaf Community Markets?
New Leaf Community Markets opened its doors as a small cooperative in 1985 on the Westside of Santa Cruz. We learned early on, that the well-being of our guests, staff and community starts with sustainable, locally produced food. Farm-to-table all the way! We’ve partnered with open-minded producers who care as deeply about our people, the planet and social justice as we do, from day one.
Our mission is to be a purveyor of good – from offering the best local and natural foods, to taking care of our staff, community, and environment. We love what we do, and we know that it’s our passionate staff who make it all possible. We’re committed to taking care of our people by leading the way with progressive employment practices.
Every day, we work to create an atmosphere of openness, caring, trust, and fairness – a place where staff can thrive, and differences are celebrated. As a member of the New Leaf Community Markets team, you can count on an inclusive, friendly environment and a welcoming group of inspired individuals who love people, great food, and being a part of a community gathering place.
Why You’ll Love Working at New Leaf Community Markets
- Amazing Benefits Package – Including comprehensive medical, dental, vision and 401k at 24 hours a week.
- Great earning potential with the opportunity for growth within our family of brands
- Paid Parental Leave available
- Lifestyle Scheduling
- Public Transport Benefits
- Paid Community Service Hours
- 30% discount at all New Leaf Community Markets, Bristol Farms and Lazy Acres Natural Market locations
Ingredients You’ll Bring to the Table:
You love food and have the ability to create an experience that is beyond the everyday. You have a positive attitude and work well in a team environment. You can connect with people and reach a level of hospitality that exceeds guests’ expectations. You are warm, outgoing, authentically amazing and want to be inspired, challenged and proud of where you work.
You embody the spirit of New Leaf Community Markets core values: Community, Integrity, Sustainability, Quality, and Respect; and you are driven by our mission to nourish and sustain our community by using business as a force for change.
What’s on Your Plate:
Job Title: Juice Bar Clerk
Department: Juice Bar / Bakery
Reports To: Juice Bar / Bakery Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Prepares juice bar beverages and bakery products daily. Provides exceptional customer service and contributes to a positive and collaborative team environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Engages the customer in a friendly manner, shares product information and assists in locating product throughout the store. Seeks opportunities to exceed customer expectations and enhance the customer experience.
- Demonstrates ability to manage own time and models a flexible work style. Shifts tasks as priorities and circumstances change based on needs and conditions of department.
- Represents company values. Works cooperatively and positively with fellow team members.
- Gives and receives feedback in a constructive manner demonstrating company Speak Up culture.
- Conserves company resources. Works in a manner consistent with company mission, vision and values and sustainability program.
- Adheres to work and food safety policies set forth by the company and all local, state and federal regulatory agencies. Contributes to store cleanliness, maintains equipment. Informs store/department management of any problems.
- Observes all company rules and policies. Understands and complies with specific department or location guidelines, tasks and responsibilities.
- Prepares juice bar and bakery area for store opening and closing.
- Assists customers with product selection. Shares product knowledge with customers. Makes recommendations and suggestions based on customer needs.
- Orders beverage-related products according to anticipated sales and seasonal needs. Maintains appropriate inventory levels to achieve sales and margin goals.
- Executes store beverage program. Prepares juice bar and other beverages to customer and vendor specifications.
- Trains department staff on beverage preparation and ensures consistency in all offered beverages.
- Builds displays and arranges department products to make attractive presentations, highlighting featured/unique/seasonal items.
- Maintains professional vendor relationships.
- Prepares, wraps, weighs, tares, prices and presents Bakery department products.
- Receives and unloads merchandise; checks quality, count and condition. Communicates any issues to management and merchandising team.
- Stocks, rotates and faces products with attention to product quality and expiration dates.
- Handles damaged and spoiled product according to company policy.
- Maintains cleanliness, organization and rotation of all areas, products and supplies.
- Maintains accurate pricing and signage that meet merchandising standards.
- Understands and complies with specific shift guidelines, tasks and responsibilities.
- May participate in inventories.
- Maintains awareness of current ads, promotions, holidays and events.
- Demonstrates familiarity with products in department, with willingness to continue learning.
- Notifies department manager or Manager on Duty (MOD) of any situations relating to customer service, safety, productivity, security or any other situation that may have an adverse effect on the store.
- Performs other tasks and duties as assigned.
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties, responsibilities and requirements, but constitutes a general definition of the position’s scope and function within our company. New Leaf Community Markets reserves the right to amend and change duties, responsibilities, and requirements to meet changing industry or business needs as necessary.
Customer Service Skills
Engages the customer in a friendly manner, shares product information and assists in locating product throughout the store. Seeks opportunities to exceed customer expectations and enhance the customer experience.
Education and/or Experience
- Previous customer service, food service, retail or grocery experience preferred.
- Knowledge of retail bakery, beverage, or food service departments preferred.
Basic ability to read and interpret documents required.
Basic math and computation skills required.
Skills to read, understand and follow through on verbal and written instructions. Skills to exercise good judgment at all times.
Knowledge of English (Preferred)
This is a customer service driven position. Should have the ability to speak, read and understand English.
This position works at a Medium level. Required frequently and up to continuously to be on feet with a mix of standing and walking throughout shift. Sitting seldom required. Up to occasionally, dependent on location, required to climb stairs, step stool and /or ladders. Continuously required to: lift 1-10 pounds; push/pull 1-10 pounds; use arms, hands and wrists; grasping/squeezing. Frequently required to: lift 11-20 pounds; twist; reach at/above shoulder; reach below shoulder. Occasionally required to: carry 21-50 pounds; push/pull 11-20 pounds; bend/stoop; crouch/squat; reach at/above shoulder.
This position may be required to use the following tools and equipment: box knife, baler, scanner, hand truck, POS, conveyer belt, industrial kitchen equipment (i.e. blast chiller, grill, knives/blades, oven, grills, scales, etc.), basic housekeeping / janitorial and standard office equipment.
Work occurs in a grocery store environment which includes surfaces that can be wet and slippery, moderate noise level, and temperature extremes in controlled environments in the cooler and freezer, and depending on location, working outside in all temperatures. There may be exposure to certain allergens and / or chemicals. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, and other applicable state or local law, we will make reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities.