Health Right 360
Founded in 1967, Haight Ashbury Free Clinic was the first nonsectarian free medical clinic in the United States. Using a volunteer staff, the Haight Ashbury Free Clinic saw hundreds of people within the first days of opening. The mission of this new model of healthcare was to provide compassionate care regardless of anyone’s ability to pay. It was during this time that The Haight Ashbury Free Clinic coined the phrase, “Health care is a right, not a privilege”.
Volunteer staff will work collaboratively at the Haight Ashbury Free Medical Clinic in providing quality healthcare services to the uninsured and marginalized populations.
As the first point of contact, the Front Office Volunteer plays a vital role in being a welcoming connection for clients to clinical service and specialty care visits (through referral initiation, follow up and data reporting). The Front Office Volunteer also acts as the first line of problem-solving within the team, working closely with the clinical and management teams to promote departmental efficiency and a positive patient experience. They are expected to provide all patient care in a sensitive, non-judgmental and professional manner.
- Welcome and greet all patients and visitors in a genuine and friendly manner.
- Check patient eligibility for Clinic services and verify coverage for upcoming appointments; refer ineligible patients to more appropriate providers.
- Collect demographic and insurance information and data enter in electronic system.
- Refer uninsured persons to the Medi-Cal office when appropriate.
- Communicate continuously with clinical team and clinic manager regarding schedule changes and collaborate with providers to reschedule appointments when needed.
- Maintain drop-in waitlist to ensure appointments are fully utilized.
- Processing of incoming electronic faxes.
Education and Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- High School Diploma or Equivalent.
- Delivers written communications that have clarity and impact including emails.
- Practices attentive and active listening; clearly and thoughtfully communicates with others in person and on the phone.
- Culturally competent and able to work with a diverse population; is honest and accountable; always maintains confidentiality and appropriate boundaries; handles sensitive information with discretion.
- Detail Oriented; ability to multi-task efficiently; organizes and establishes priorities and performs work in a timely manner.
- Comfort using computerized systems to enter and find information; Microsoft Office Applications, specifically Word Outlook and Internet applications.
- Reliable; maintains focus; punctual; good attendance record.
- A team player; collaborates positively with other team members; able to work cooperatively and effectively, and independently assume responsibility.
- Interest in community-based healthcare; strong initiative and enthusiasm; willingness to pitch in whenever needed.