Website City Of Santa Clara
Santa Clara ARES/RACES Volunteer Opportunity
Santa Clara ARES/RACES is a volunteer group of amateur radio operators who work directly with the City’s Police and Fire Departments to provide communication during special events and emergencies. Both the civil defense RACES organization and the American Radio Relay League’s ARES organization participate in order to ensure a volunteer base that can provide concise communication when it matters most.
ARES/RACES volunteers are essential to providing quality communication services to the residents of our community during special events or in an emergency. Community members age 18 and older are encouraged to show pride and get involved in civic activities through this unique volunteer opportunity within the City of Santa Clara.
Community members 18 years of age and older with an amateur radio license (technician class or better) are encouraged to volunteer with the City of Santa Clara ARES/RACES group.
How Do I Become a Volunteer?
Anyone interested in volunteering for Santa Clara ARES/RACES must first complete and submit an online City ARES/RACES volunteer application. The City ARES/RACES group provides various opportunities throughout the year to help volunteers obtain their radio license.
- Work directly with the City’s Police and Fire Departments to provide communication during special events and emergencies
- Click HERE to learn more about our volunteer organization: Santa Clara ARES/RACES (santaclara-ares.org)
Minimum Qualifications: MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Volunteer Requirements
- At least 18 years old
- Possess an amateur radio license (technician class or better)
- Have your own radio gear available to operate in the field
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to work with people belonging to diverse backgrounds
- Interest in helping people
- Able to interact professionally with the public
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions
- Must possess and demonstrate a friendly, positive attitude, and helpful demeanor
- Must be able to work in a team environment
- Must have willingness and desire to use radio communication skills to help in an emergency.