Website New Seasons Market
Full Job Description
New Leaf Community Markets in Half Moon Bay is seeking candidates who are enthusiastic about food and great customer service. This is a full-time position, with benefit options and an employee discount. Must be available to work weekends.
Job Title: Cashier
Department: Front End
Job Region: California Coastal
Reports-To: Front-End Manager
Exemption Status (typically): Non-Exempt
Requirements: As a retail grocer, we operate 7 days/week and 365 days/year. Our in-store positions are likely to include evening and weekend shifts per the needs of the business.
About us: For more than 30 years, New Leaf Community Markets has been making important choices that nourish and sustain our Central Coast communities. We opened our doors as a small cooperative in 1985 on the Westside of Santa Cruz. Now, we’re a community-hub grocery store, that remains true to our progressive roots and good for the community ethos.
About the role: Operates cash register, processes and bags customer orders and performs carry-outs. Provides exceptional customer service and contributes to a positive and collaborative team environment.
- Engages the customer in a friendly manner, shares product information and assists in locating product throughout the store. Seeks opportunities to exceed customer expectations and enhance the customer experience.
- Demonstrates ability to manage own time and models a flexible work style. Shifts tasks as priorities and circumstances change based on needs and conditions of department.
- Represents company values. Works cooperatively and positively with fellow team members.
- Gives and receives feedback in a constructive manner demonstrating company Speak Up culture.
- Conserves company resources. Works in a manner consistent with company mission, vision and values and sustainability program.
- Adheres to work and food safety policies set forth by the company and all local, state and federal regulatory agencies. Contributes to store cleanliness, maintains equipment. Informs store/department management of any problems.
- Observes all company rules and policies. Understands and complies with specific department or location guidelines, tasks and responsibilities.
- Rings up and bags groceries using company taught best practices and customer preference. Assist customers with carry-outs as needed.
- Prepares Front End department for store opening and closing.
- Accountable for following cash handling, register and return procedures.
- Complies with alcohol sales regulations.
- Processes returns per policy and requests assistance from lead or management for complex returns.
- Uses Front End resource guide and store walks to learn PLUs and accurately process customer orders.
- Keeps cash drawer organized throughout shift.
- Assists with product go-backs. Re-stocks, rotates and faces products with attention to quality and expiration dates. Handles damaged and spoiled product according to company policy.
- Responsible for assisting customers in bottle counts and overall upkeep and cleanliness of bottle count area.
- Maintains cleanliness, organization and rotation of all areas, products and supplies. May assist in additional light cleaning / housekeeping tasks when needed.
- Maintains awareness of current ads, promotions, holidays and events.
- Demonstrates familiarity with products throughout store with willingness to continue learning.
- Tools and Equipment Used (not all inclusive): This position may be required to use the following tools and equipment: box knife, baler, scanner, hand truck, POS, conveyer belt, industrial kitchen equipment (i.e. blast chiller, grill, knives/blades, oven, grills, scales, etc.), basic housekeeping / janitorial and standard office equipment.
- This position works at a Medium level. Required frequently and up to continuously to be on feet with a mix of standing and walking throughout shift. Sitting seldom required. Up to occasionally, dependent on location, required to climb stairs, step stool and /or ladders.
- Continuously required to: lift 1-10 pounds; push/pull 1-10 pounds; use arms, hands and wrists; grasping/squeezing
- Frequently required to: lift 11-20 pounds; twist; reach below shoulder
- Occasionally required to: carry 1-50 pounds; push/pull 11-20 pounds; bend/stoop; crouch/squat; reach at/above shoulder
- Performs other tasks and duties as assigned.
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties, responsibilities and requirements, but constitutes a general definition of the position’s scope and function within our company. New Seasons Market / New Leaf Community Markers reserves the right to amend and change duties, responsibilities, and requirements to meet changing industry or business needs as necessary.
What you Bring as a Candidate:
Previous customer service, food service, retail or grocery experience preferred.
Knowledge of retail Front End Department / Cashier experience highly preferred.
Physical and Environmental Work Space: Work occurs in a grocery store environment which includes surfaces that can be wet and slippery, moderate noise level, and temperature extremes in controlled environments in the cooler and freezer, and depending on location, working outside in all temperatures. There may be exposure to certain allergens and / or chemicals. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, and other applicable state or local law, we will make reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities.